The 2020 Gstats Quiz
This year is different. I'm nearly embarrassed to ask some of these, especially the first few. Get a piece of paper and scribble down the answers. Try not to rush to Google, the RP site, wiki or flicking back on Gstats. You shouldn't have to. If you don't know, have a guess, most are gettable. This year the answers are on the Reviews of Gstats page, scroll down to the bottom. You will also find a rating guide of where you stand as a 'knowledgeable' Cheltenham Festival punter.
There are 30 points to be fought for. Good luck everyone.
Question master always correct, even when wrong. And I'll try not to be wrong this year..
1. Who was the top trainer/top jockey combo in last year's Festival?
Willie/Paul, Willie/Nico, Nicky/Paul or Nicky/Nico? 1 point
2. Which horse went off as SP favourite for last years Gold Cup? 1pt
3. Altior is now both 10 yrs old. This century, only three horses have won any of the four Championship Races when aged in double figures. All won the Queen Mother. (Now, don't be like that, they are all household names). 1pt for each
4. Last year what happened between the Coral Cup on the Wednesday and the Ryanair on the Thursday which the clerk doesn't believe has ever happened before at the Cheltenham Festival? 2 pts.
5. Sire De Berlais 2019 Pertemps, Solar Impulse 2016 Grand Annual, Uxizandre 2015 Ryanair. What connects these three winning performances? 1pt
6. According to a 2020 Racing Post interview with Jamie Codd, what is his biggest ambition as a jockey? 1pt.
7. Champion Hurdle winner in the seventies pictured above. Twice winner of the Christmas Hurdle. Has a well known race named after him. His name please. 2pts
8. How many winners did Ruby Walsh ride at the Cheltenham Festival? 1pt. Slighty more difficult, name his last winning ride in a handicap and the year? Clue, it was a while ago. 2pts for each. 5pts in total here
9. What's the connection between Heighlin winning the 1980 Triumph and Minella Indo's success last year in the Albert Bartlett? 1pt
10. What relevance does long ago Festival winner Beau Caprice have to a probable runner in one of the G1 Novice chases this year? 2pts
11. Duc de Genievres and Al Boum Photo were both fine winners in last years Festival for Willie Mullins and Paul Townend. But what else connects the two horses? 1pt
12. Picture above. Name of horse and jockey please. 1pt each
13. This horse has a very decent chance this year. Its an anagram - Online For Storage (8,8) 1pt
14. As many do, after winning the Challow Hurdle in 2012, Taquin Du Seuil tried his luck in the Ballymore/Neptune Novice hurdle at the Festival. But what was different about the Taq's performance at Cheltenham compared to the six other most recent Challow winners to try? 2pts
15. The name of this horse starts with the letter F and he was ridden to win by Timmy Murphy. He was the last horse to win the County Hurdle who wasn't trained in Ireland, or by Paul Nicholls, or by an ex pupil of Paul Nicholls. He is? 2pts.
16. What's the matter with this photo? 1 pt.
17. Who said this last year? 'Its just great to get winners here. Not every lad is fortunate enough to be in a position to ride good horses. You see good riders in there who aren't riding winners and its a cruel business in that aspect. I've been feeling sorry for myself not getting winners the first couple of days. It means so much to get a winner - its the be-all and end-all.' 1pt.
18. Only one horse has sired more than one Champion Bumper winner? Bob Back, Kings Theatre, Milan or Fleminsfirth? 1pt.
19. From the Where's Wally school, Where's Bryan? 10 pts
We just sent you an email. Please click the link in the email to confirm your subscription!