Cheltenham Festival Quiz
9th March - Rory Delargy ties Howard James from St Ives with 15 correct. Mea culpa. Jackie Ventom 3rd. Thank you all for the effort shown. £20 has been added to the Guide Dogs Justgiving Tally.
Hope to produce one even easier in 2019, if spared.
The 2018 Quiz should be a little more gettable than the 2017 version. Some of the 18 answers might be in Gaultstats, he said, cruelly. The only prize of £20 will be donated by me to the Guide Dogs Charity on production of the first all correct answer sheet. As usual, question master always correct, even when wrong.
Answers to firstname.lastname@example.org please
The name of the winner will appear here, if they are happy with that.
Bonne Chance and don't forget to give.
1. Put these trainers in order 1-2-3-4 indicating who won most prize money in the 2017 Festival.
W Mullins, G Elliott, J Harrington, N Henderson. 1 Mullins, 2 Henderson, 3 Harrington, 4 Elliott
2. Put these jockeys in order 1-2-3 indicating who won most prize money in the 2017 Festival.
R Walsh, R Power, N Fehily. 1 Fehily, 2 Walsh, 3 Power
3. Which horse was the last to be turned over at odds on in an Arkle? Clue, not yesterday. Sybillin 1993 at 4/5
4. Which horse is the only one to win the Supreme and the Champion Hurdle in consecutive years? (Any self respecting Festival attendee must ....) Bula, obviously, Eugene.
5. Eight of Jonjo O'Neill's nine Festival handicap winners have been at a trip of at least 3 miles. The exception was..? Master Tern 2000 County Hurdle
6. Labaik provided 17 yr old Jack Kennedy with his first Festival winner. Who was the last 17 yr old to win a Festival race? Clue, happened within the last ten years. Sam Twiston Davies on Baby Run Foxhunters two days after Adrian Heskin on A New Story in the X Country
7. Picture Round. Below is a picture of a telephone box which is situated at the entrance to an Irish racecourse. Which recent G2 winner is the last horse to run at both this racecourse and the Cheltenham Festival in the same season?
This caused a lot of angst. People were spending their Sunday using Google Maps searching the front of small Irish racecourses to see if they could catch a glimpse of the box. My thanks to Howard James for his honesty. This, I believe, is the very telephone box at Bellewstown centre to the Yellow Sam coup of 1975 where Mr Barney Curley took them to the cleaners. Bellewstown is a lovely summer racecourse, I assure you it is full of punter friendly results. Dan has a pitch there. Come and see us. It only has 5 days racing a year so it would not have taken too long to realise that Clarcam 2017 was the last to run at both here and the Festival.
8. Dudley, Medoc, Silver Fame, Arctic Gold and... Which recent Festival winner is the next horse in this sequence? Lot of gnashing of teeth here too. Cause of Causes was the next horse to win three different Festival Chases. I'm told if you put the for names in Google, the answer comes up next. That's just not fair.
9. Arkloin beat Doone Valley in 1965 and then Might Bite beat Whisper. What's the connection between these two results? Last two RSAs where the 1-2 was trained by the same person. Dreaper and Henderson
10. In the 2017 Festival what happened for the first time with the three amateur races? All won by jockeys who just happened to be ladies.
11. Which Festival winning trainer is a descendant of the Lieutenant who led the defence of Rorke's Drift in 1879? I know Mr Shard was the Lieutenant in command, Tigs, but all references seem to agree that Gonville Bromhead definitely led. You ask Michael Caine.
12. In total, how many horses actually lined up against Arkle when he won three Gold Cups? 10. Can't have been that difficult?
13. Which two horses provided Davy Condon with his two Festival winners? Ebaziyan and Flaxen Flare
14. Which horse is Noel Meade's only Festival winner over fences? Road To Respect
15. Which trainer said 'I told Gavin to go hard and leave nothing out there'? Warren Greatrex
16. High Chapparal, Authorized, Galileo, Soldier Of Fortune, Sir Percy are all Derby winners. What is their connection with the Festival? Their's is a particular connection. All sired winners at the 2017 Festival.
17. In the 2016 Festival Willie Mullins had a losing run of 20 between the wins of Yorkhill and Black Hercules. How many was his Festival losing run before Yorkhill obliged in last year's JLT? From Limini and according to RP, the run was 46. Counted them as well. Willie does throw a lot of darts
18. Picture Round to finish. In Gaultstats Fred Winter hurdle, you will see a picture of the winning jockey gritting his teeth. Which horse supplied him with his previous Festival winner? Richard Johnson's previous winner was Fingal Bay 2014 Pertemps. I'm sure he was pleased.
Wealth Warning. Any decisions made (or not) or the basis of any information in this site are the sole responsibility of the reader. There is no obligation on me to follow my own advice (Gary). I take no responsibility for (but am keen to hear of) any factual errors. Previous years ‘stats on stats’ would suggest we may identify a decent priced winner from manageable groups every three or four races. I tend to improve as a tipster as the week goes on, possibly too worried on the Tuesday. It is believed that Savello (2014 Grand Annual) took from Golden Chieftain (2013 3m hcap chase) the record for breaking the most stats in a race. Stands now at 8. Cole Harden equalised with 8 in the 2015 World Hurdle. Remember, after you have cursed/laughed at me and given up totally on trends, they will come back to bite. Always happens. Usually on Gold Cup Day Beware GO SEA - Groundless Optimism Syndrome Encouraged by Alcohol. A Cotswold condition very common at this time of year.