This year is different. I'm nearly embarrassed to ask some of these, especially the first few. Get a piece of paper and scribble down the answers. Try not to rush to Google, the RP site, wiki or flicking back on Gstats. You shouldn't have to. If you don't know, have a guess, most are gettable. This year the answers are on the Reviews of Gstats page, scroll down to the bottom. You will also find a rating guide of where you stand as a 'knowledgeable' Cheltenham Festival punter.
There are 30 points to be fought for. Good luck everyone.
A big thank you to these kind Celebrities for having a go and for their honesty with results! goracinggreen is a good cause. Don't forget to give.
The Celebrities - Adam Webb, Final Furlong Quizmaster, first in with a very respectable 20 points. Would expect nothing less. Then a fine effort by Simon Rowlands with 11. Says he'd rather have the Flat and he would never waste a second listening to a jockey or clerk (see what I did there, 'waste a second.' Time ? Never mind..) Its the taking part that matters, Simon. A classy effort from Chris Cook, the Guardian's inventive top man with 16. Knew his Heighlins. And what else would you expect from such a gentleman? Just topped by the Ludlow run machine Sam Turner with 17. With usual modesty Sam said he was lucky to get them. (Could he be that modest in real life?) But, once again, the trophy elect goes to TV's Rory Delargy with 27. Some said he might need the run but magnificent as ever. Gets annoyed when he gets one of these wrong. Or just corrects me. The Altior of Racing Quizes. Can you take him down?
1. Who were the top trainer/top jockey combo in last year's Festival?
Willie/Paul, Willie/Nico, Nicky/Paul or Nicky/Nico? 1 point.
2. Which horse went off as SP favourite for last years Gold Cup? 1pt
3. Altior is now 10 yrs old. This century, only three horses have won any of the four Championship Races when aged in double figures. All won the Queen Mother. (Now, don't be like that, they are all household names). 1pt for each
4. Last year what happened between the Coral Cup on the Wednesday and the Ryanair on the Thursday which the clerk doesn't believe has ever happened before at the Cheltenham Festival? 2 pts.
5. Sire De Berlais 2019 Pertemps, Solar Impulse 2016 Grand Annual, Uxizandre 2015 Ryanair. What connects these three winning performances and no others in the last 5 yrs? 1pt
6. According to a 2020 Racing Post interview with Jamie Codd, what is his biggest ambition as a jockey? 1pt.
7. Champion Hurdle winner in the seventies pictured above. Twice winner of the Christmas Hurdle. Has a well known race named after him. His name please. 2pts
8. How many winners did Ruby Walsh ride at the Cheltenham Festival? 1pt. Slighty more difficult, name his last winning ride in a handicap and the year? Clue, it was a while ago. 2pts for each. 5pts in total here
9. What's the connection between Heighlin winning the 1980 Triumph and Minella Indo's success last year in the Albert Bartlett? 1pt
10. Whats the matter with the above photo?
11. What relevance does long ago Festival winner Beau Caprice have to a Willie Mullins trained, possible runner in one of the G1 Novice chases this year? 2pts
12. Duc de Genievres and Al Boum Photo were both fine winners in last years Festival for Willie Mullins and Paul Townend. But what else connects the two horses? 1pt
13. Picture above. Name of horse and jockey please. 1pt each
14. This horse has a very decent chance this year. Its an anagram - Online For Storage (8,8) 1pt
15. As many do, after winning the Challow Hurdle in 2012, Taquin Du Seuil tried his luck in the Ballymore/Neptune Novice hurdle at the Festival. But what was different about the Taq's performance at Cheltenham compared to the six other most recent Challow winners to try? 2pts
16. The name of this horse starts with the letter F and he was ridden to win by Timmy Murphy. He was the last horse to win the County Hurdle who wasn't trained in Ireland, or by Paul Nicholls, or by an ex pupil of Paul Nicholls. He is? 2pts.
17. Who said this last year? 'Its just great to get winners here. Not every lad is fortunate enough to be in a position to ride good horses. You see good riders in there who aren't riding winners and its a cruel business in that aspect. I've been feeling sorry for myself not getting winners the first couple of days. It means so much to get a winner - its the be-all and end-all.' 1pt.
18. Only one horse has sired more than one Champion Bumper winner? Bob Back, Kings Theatre, Milan or Fleminsfirth? 1pt.
19. From the Where's Wally school of questioning, Where's Bryan? 10 pts
We just sent you an email. Please click the link in the email to confirm your subscription!